Sunday, October 22, 2006

Letter to Air Raves: October 22, 2006

L I F E S T Y L E Go elsewhere ----------------------- News Business Market Watch Sports Lifestyle Entertainment Technology Education Mind Our English Columnists Photos Video Clips Last 7 Days 30-Day Archive RSS Mobile Edition What's Hot Write to Us ----------------------- MyStar AllMalaysia.info Global Malaysians Kuali.com Citizen's Blog Podcast ----------------------- Classifieds Motoring Property Jobs ----------------------- AudioFile Clove Maritime Youth2 Horoscope Comics Directory Site Map The Web News Classifieds Stock


Focus
Sunday October 22, 2006


Patiently listening

THANK you, Anthony Thanasayan, for highlighting the difficulties faced by hospital patients when they are listening to the radio. (A friend in need, Air Raves, Variety, Oct 15).

I’m a multiple sclerosis patient who always brings my trusty Walkman whenever I’m warded in KLH. I tune in to Light & Easy because I find it to be the most relaxing station, whether I’m in hospital or at home doing housework.

Nearly all the other radio stations play music that caters to the young and hip. Such music can be stressful to patients.

This may be why few patients bring their portable radios to the hospital.

Reception can be awful at times and it gets better only at night.

Thanasayan's suggestion that the broadcasters provide details of research on diseases and medical breakthroughs is a good one as this not only appeals to hospital patients but also to the general listener.

I would also like to listen to Opus on the radio rather than through Astro but I don’t see this happening.

Classical music does not have mass appeal here; this may be why Opus is only available on Astro.

Another grouse is the standard of English heard over many of the stations. I cringe at the way certain words are pronounced or used.

Light & Easy is better but not by much. I don’t expect the Queen’s English but what's heard on radio is laughable at times.

Being a regular radio listener, I look forward to Thanasayan's weekly articles Thanks for a good read every Sunday!

Aida Waras, Kuala Lumpur









Source:












--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Write to Us - Site Map
Copyright © 1995-2005 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)
Managed by I.Star.


FocusHealthLivingArts & FashionBookshelfParentingTravel & Adventure